No subject

Wed May 4 18:08:57 EDT 2011

Whatever you think of that......the fact remains that Permaculture as a
philosophy and as a practice provides the vision of continuity, of food
being available again next year whether you plant anything more or
not.....the asparagus you planted 7 years ago will come up again, the lambs
quarters will re-seed itself, the nopalitos will still be there for the
harvesting.
 For too long we have, as a culture, thought of children as the providers
for the tomorrows instead of the earth's bounty.
 The goading of grandparents and pastors to be fruitful and multiply has
resulted in less long-range security instead of more, as more and more land
is taken up with malls and pavement and apartments and tract homes to
provide space and jobs for more and more people, and for agribusiness to
provide for millions who have no knowledge of gardening let alone
permaculture if they do have land.  It had been years since I had access to
good land and helped plant and harvest and share butternut squash......then
a small CSA garden was planted and I got to eat fresh okra for the first
time and ate corn off the cob in the garden.  Now, I have a little garden
and the tomatoes and squash are thriving to my delight.  My dream is to
enrich a corner of high desert and plant permaculture crops.  Having
permaculture when you may have to move in a few months and the next people
there may just mow down what you've nurtured is another issue to consider.
  Permaculture can surely be a real Vision to promote to neighbors and
relatives and preachers and teachers.  If the people will lead, the leaders
will follow?    A friend got to give a sermon recently while minister was on
vacation......she spoke on stewardship and blew milkweed seed into the
audience.....I hope she asked them to catch the seed and plant it far and
wide to restore that small part of the ecological balance for monarch
butterflies.

--MS_Mac_OE_3042447106_113865_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Permaculture as Vision</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<I>Threshold 2000: Critical Issues and Spiritual Values for a Global Age</I=
>  by Gerald O. Barney (President, MI), Jane Blewett &amp; Kristen R. Barney=
, Arlington, VA: Millennium Inst. &amp; Grand Rapids MI: CoNexus Press, 1999=
/158p/$13.95pb.    a new ed. of <I>Global 2000 Revisited</I> (1993), prepare=
d for the 1993 Parliament of theWorld's Religions in Chicago, which served a=
s a brief, updated version of the 1980 <I>Global 2000 Report to the Presiden=
t</I> [Barney was the Study Director of this controversial report, which sol=
d 1.5 million copies in 8 languages].......Critical issues include populatio=
n growth &amp; basic needs, food production and arable land, agricultural yi=
elds, genetic resources, energy, environment, &amp; the cluster of poverty/v=
iolence/hatred/despair.  Our real problem is that <I>&quot;our shared moral =
basis for a sustained, cooperative effort--our development model--has failed=
.  We are now a people--a species--without a vision.&quot;  </I>A new model =
is needed tht sees the human economcy as part of a much larger, but still fi=
nite, global biosphere.  One cannot flourish without the other.  <I>&quot;Th=
e first principle of the new model must be that humans and Earth be in a mut=
ually enhancing relationship.&quot; </I>  Humans have begun to ask questions=
 about &quot;sustainable development,&quot; but must also begin to ask quest=
ions about &quot;sustainable faith&quot;--a faith tradition that provides pr=
ogress for the whole community of life (<I>&quot;I doubt that there is a fai=
th tradition on Earth today that can provide the moral foundation needed for=
 the 21st century&quot;).<BR>