[permaculture] Soil fauna, discussion continued. Vetiver.org.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 27 19:27:27 EDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil fawna
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:37:38 +1300
From: Don Miller <donmillernz at GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

As others have stated, each situation is different.  The linked
presentation shows what can be done to build fertility through
vegetation establishment on actively eroding steep faces in a toxic
acidic nutrient deficient volcanic rock in the tropics.   Numerous
attempts to plant hardy* Pinus caribaea* had failed, although they were
thriving outside of the gullied land.  There was no soil, just a shallow
layer of frittered soft rock particles that washed off to pollute the
adjacent reef each cyclone season.

Shallow contour trenches had to be adzed in the rock as a first step.
Small quantities of mostly non-soluble minerals, including dolomite,
were applied only where the contour lines of grass were planted to allow
initial survival.  Once established, what appears to be a combination of
mycorrhizal activity on the grass and N-fixing by the Acacia has allowed
a reasonable level of soil fertility to develop within 7 or 8 years.
Sediment production
has been effectively halted.

www.*vetiver*.org/VAN_REEF/VAN-reef2_files/VAN-reef2.ppt

Elsewhere in the same island *P.caribaea* plantations have lifted the
fertility of previous barren slopes to the extent that good crops of
Cassava are now being grown, after forest harvesting, with no
application of any fertilisers.  Those who knock pine forests as being
acidifiers that always wreck the soil please take note!

Don