[permaculture] Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds

Jay Woods woodsjay at cox.net
Wed Mar 9 14:00:54 EST 2011

I was interested in using the oils for fuel and had no interest in
competing against food uses.

Aster seed (I am reminded) have a non-edible oil in them although the
seed is small and difficult to harvest/clean.

On Wednesday, March 09, 2011 09:15:10 am Toby Hemenway wrote:
> Illinois bundleflower?

The bundleflower looks interesting as it also is a nitrogen fixer.

> And Wes Jackson is also growing Maximilian
> sunflower in Kansas, but that may be zone 5. Both have significant
> quantities of oil. Most indigenous people in the frozen north get
> their oil from animals.
>
> Toby
> http://patternliteracy.com
>
> On Mar 9, 2011, at 6:52 AM, Jay Woods wrote:
> > I've just realized that I don't know of a single one good for zone
> > 4 or colder. The closest thing to this that I do know is the seeds
> > of most fruits such as apple, pear, peach and apricot have a small
> > amount of oil and the seeds themselves are inedible because of the
> > cyanide content.

The cyanide is not poisonous in small quantities. Furthermore, since the
actual compounds are water soluble, they is not likely to end up in the
oil. That makes the oils edible and thus not to be used for my purpose.