[permaculture] Food forest on the rez

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 00:50:36 EDT 2011

Thanks for all the nursery contacts, guys - most of my contacts are for tropical/semi-tropical so this is great!  We did end up getting more than 600 trees from the forest service, closing out their bare root season at 45 cents per tree!  Lots of honey locust, plus nanking cherry, rugosa rose, buffalo berry, siberian pea (love this plant), hackberry, hawthorn, cottonwood, pine, and more. Many of these trees serve multiple functions, some are sacred to Lakota, and all grow well here. We got them all in the ground fast and many of them are already budding. The weather has cooperated beautifully, not too hot, and rain. So exciting to watch them bud! I hear you about them growing up fast. We scarfed some currants for really cheap too. And found out that the University sells bare root for 50 cents per tree in season.
Now I'm looking for some native edibles such as buffalo bean (ground plum milk vetch), wild sarsasparilla, biscuit root, cow parsnip, American licorice, and more.