[permaculture] Trader Joe's

ChildrensPeaceGuild childrenspeaceguild at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 14:57:02 EST 2011

Amy,
I'm afriad to say my experience has not been as positive as others. Not negative
either, just neutral.
After years of hearing people recommend Trader Joe's we finally went to one and
our overall experience was thoroughly.......underwhelming. Personally, I did not
see that much of a "fair trade" or "organic" option. Beyond some wacky shirts
and tiki torches, I felt like I could have been in any number of grocery chains
that also carry a percentage of organic. Another issue was the lack of local
options for produce and dairy. And, at least the one I patronized, no bulk
whatsoever. We wandered around scratching our heads as to what the appeal was.
Though I do think Trader Joe's must have something to offer, otherwise they
wouldn't be in business, but I grew up in a small town (around 12,000) in the
conservative South and our local grocery offered just as much.
So that about sums up our visit. Truly one of the most perplexing afternoon's I
can ever recall.