[permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture

Paul Cross charybda at newmex.com
Fri Apr 8 14:18:12 EDT 2011

I've often wondered why people seem to think coir is ecological. It is
produced as a byproduct of industrial agriculture that destroys
rainforests and plants monocrops of palms. As permaculturalists we have
to recognize that any outside input impacts the site from which it was
taken. Maybe in our accounting that is acceptable, or maybe it is not.
We can think we're doing good by washing our dishes in coconut oil soap
instead of petrochemical detergents, growing seedlings in coir instead
of peat, but the orangutans who lost their habitat to palm plantations
don't see it that way. We're always causing impacts.