[permaculture] when to harvest bamboo

georg parlow g.parlow at gmx.at
Sun Oct 24 11:24:31 EDT 2010

hi dieter:

i am growing phylostachis bissetii, which is edible and very hardy. a
friend of mine - who gave me the Ph. bissetii grows 60 or 70 species
just outside vienna, e.g. Ph. nigra var. henon, Ph. aureosculata, Ph.
aurea, Ph. viridiglaucescens, also several Sasa, Pseudosasas, Fargesia
etc. (see his whole list on http://www.tillandsia.at/bambusbestandsliste.htm
  - but there he also list a few that he tried and that didn't make
the winters)

he is interested in expandind his collection and i swapping. if you
have anything that is not on his list feel free to contact helmut
directly, mentioning my name. he had 2 or 3 bamboos before, but when i
borrowed him david faarrelly's 'book of bamboo' he turned into an
enthusiast.

where about in portugal are you situated, dieter? do you have a website?

best,
georg

Am 24.10.2010 um 00:37 schrieb Dieter Brand:

> You are most welcome George.  Can you grow bamboo in Vienna?  There
> are some that are quite cold hardy, but continental winters can be a
> challenge.
>
> Dieter

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Georg Parlow