[permaculture] Site analysis tools

Richard Archer permaculture at juggernaut.com.au
Wed Oct 13 01:17:45 EDT 2010

At 6:07 AM +0100 13/10/10, wenshidi at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>I have been asked to put together a site analysis and I want to make
>it as accurate and informative as possible.  I am using transparencies
>to to display the various flow patters, but some are more difficult to
>establish than others.  Winter and summer sunlight for example.  Is
>there some equation based on my lat and long that will give me
>accurate figures for this?

Here's a decent write up of a solar site survey:

http://www.builditsolar.com/SiteSurvey/site_survey.htm

It uses the solar chart generator at:

http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html

It's important to do the obstacle survey especially if
your site is hilly or treed. It makes a big difference
to the optimum orientation of sun-facing glass for
passive solar homes and greenhouses.

 ...Richard.