[permaculture] Talking stick and time to respond - people care

A Sampson-Kelly april at permaculturevisions.com
Sun Oct 10 21:53:31 EDT 2010

Cory Brennan<cory8570 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
I have incorporated the "talking stick" or "sharing
>  tobacco" into all of
>  my community efforts. It is one of the most powerful
>  invisible structure
>  tools I know of for building compassion and understanding
>  and therefore, a
>  stronger community.
>
>  It's harder via email - I've tried it one on one with
>  wonderful results,
>  but never in a group.? But perhaps it is something we
>  would want to try
>  here....There really is no reason it wouldn't work, now
>  that I think about
>  it.

This is why I prefer to use email than any other communication for complex ideas.
I like email because it allows me time to think, although some people may hate the chopping and changing of topics
  (facebook is probably more organised in that regard, because you can focus on a thread)
But manners are very delicate via email, it is extremely easy to offend someone, and much harder to get their respect back.
I recently spoke to the guy who dipped out of this email (I met him at the permculture convergence in Cairns last month), and he
got so angry about the disrespect between emails that he left. He thought that respect should come with the name. ie. Toby has great respect amongst those
of us who know his work. But I see this all the time. I meet people who treat me roughly until they connect the face with the name. "Whoopy doo" I think. I
don't care about dropping names, or lying on my laurels. If someone wants to be abrupt to a stranger, that's their great loss. Everyone deserves respect,
everyone has a story.

April S-Kelly

Call 42285774 Fax +61 2 82087062 (from overseas) Fax 02 82087062 (within
Australian)
Write: 280 Cordeaux Rd Mt Kembla Village 2526 Australia Facebook: April
Sampson-Kelly
Students and Graduates Worldwide 50 Countries- /Argentina, Australia -
(every state), Azerbaijan, // Brazil, Botswana, Bulgaria, Bermuda, Costa
Rica, Canada- BC,ON, NL, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Finland, Great
Britain, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, India,
Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jerusalem, Jordan, Kuwait, New Zealand,
Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Oman, Panama,
Philippines, Portugal, Republic of South Africa, Qatar, Slavokia, Spain,
Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tonga, UK, USA (Alaska, CA, FL, KS, HA, IA, IL, IN,
TN, ME, MT, NC, NM, OR, PA, SD, TX,VT, WA, WI), Venezuela, Wanica. Can't
find your nation? Get on board./
Scholarships for People with Special Needs and Opportunities, Discounts
for Young and Retired Participants.
ISO 14000, We are a carbon-neutral office.
mailto:april at permaculturevisions.com http://www.permaculturevisions.com
See Our Giant Portal related to Permaculture Design Topics:
http://www.permaculturevisions.com/links/

Please consider your environment before printing this email on
old-fashioned paper.
Now is the moment for you to save paper, save storage, save ink and
ink-based water pollution, save on indoor air pollution control and
medicine, save on repairs for leads and printer, save power, save money,
save on landfill. Save on having to stand up to attend the printer, save
filing, save having to locate the files later, save having to type it
all back in somewhere, sometime later. Enjoy this opportunity get
outside instead and throw any seeds from your lunch into a pot plant OR
pour out the dregs of your drink as fertliser. more
<http://www.permaculturevisions.com/Potted_Worm_Farm.html>
<mailto:info at permaculturevisions.com>