[permaculture] Feeding wild bees during Winter - how to do it?

Kelly Simmons kelly at bouldersustainability.org
Sat Oct 9 20:04:51 EDT 2010

There is no need to feed bees in the winter.  For the most part, they
are in a semi-dormant cluster, are unable to fly anyway, and so would
be unable to partake of your gift.  Bees cannot fly in temperatures
below 50 degrees fahrenheit.  Unless your spring and summer have been
unusually absent of flowering  trees and other plants, the bees will
have put up more than enough food for the winter.  Wild bees have few
needs that humans can supply!  How refreshing!

Bees are opportunists and if a food source is nearby and discovered
before their winter dormancy, then they will definitely take advantage
of the resource - hence the attraction of hundreds of bees to your
compost pile.

If you are wanting to assist them, the best ways to do so are to
protect the tree or cavity that they are nesting in, plant maple,
linden and other flowering trees in their vicinity, locate a water
source near their nest for spring, summer and fall that is set up to
prevent them from drowning, and plant a variety of flowering medicinal
plants such as catnip, mints, thymes and such so that they can self-
medicate as they need to, and most especially lobby your neighbors NOT
use pesticides and herbicides on their properties.

Hope this helps!

Kelly
Boulder, CO