[permaculture] moles, voles, GOPHERS, and deer, oh my

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 16:19:35 EDT 2010

> The most effective deterrent that I have seen is
> sound.  The battery powered spikes that poke in the
> ground and emit high frequency sounds seem to work
> well.

That's the one I used.  There is also a type that uses a small solar panel instead of batteries.  It's expensive and it won't work in my garden which has a lot of shade.  The cheapest method is to half burry empty bottles at a slight angle in the ground.  The wind entering the open bottle will make a sound that is to deter the voles.  It’s the sound you make when you blow into an open bottle at an angle.  I tried this without much success.  But we are in a valley and don’t get much wind.

Dieter Brand
Portugal