[permaculture] voles and forest soil

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 15:25:29 EDT 2010

Rain,

You are probably right that voles care more about food than about the soil environment.  Well, I guess it will be hard to prove any relation between voles and the fungal/microbial environment.

I have had asparagus for over 10 years and never had any losses due to voles, even though vole damage to most other plants, especially artichokes, has been considerable at times.

Most of our land is wooded and I find that growth in the under-storey is very much reduced; hence I keep on cutting back trees and bushes all the time.

Dieter Brand
Portugal