[permaculture] Miro Video Player & Miro Video Converter - useful and recommended - free/open

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 27 02:56:25 EDT 2010

[Paul might be interested in this]
I just installed these two - easy. The video downloaded/player is
amazing - try it and search for permaculture videos! Lots.

Miro | Video Player |
Free video and audio podcast player and torrent client.
http://www.getmiro.com/

Miro Video Converter - Free! Convert any video to MP4, OGG Theora,
iPhone, Android, iPod, and more, based on FFMPEG.
http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

Miro, the free video player, goes 3.0
Cory Doctorow at 11:30 AM March 26, 2010
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/26/miro-the-free-video.html
"Miro (formerly Democracy Player) is a free/open video player that
automates subscribing to feeds of videos that are fetched down using
Bittorrent (meaning that the creators of videos don't have to have the
money for bandwidth) and then played in a flexible player that supports
practically every format. The effect is great: pick a channel of videos
that you like, subscribe, and forget about it -- Miro downloads episodes
as they're available and just plays 'em, no matter what file format
they're in.

Nicholas Reville from Miro sez, "In our relentless quest to make great
free and open-source software and help decentralize media, we have just
released Miro 3.0, a major update that adds support for subtitles. We're
also releasing a brand new application called Miro Video Converter,
which is a really easy way to convert any video to MP4 or devices, but
more importantly is the only easy way to convert a video to patent-free
OGG Theora using the latest high-quality encoding (which really does
rival the quality of h.264). We created this converter because our
campaign to get Video on Wikipedia was only practical if people had an
easy way to make Ogg Theora videos."