[permaculture] composting toilet

SArjuna at aol.com SArjuna at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 14:16:29 EDT 2010

We use the Reliance Luggable Loo.   It's just a 5-gallon pail with a
plastic toilet seat and lid on it.   $18 at Fleet Farm.   (Used to be much less.)

It sits right in our bathroom.   You do NOT pee in it.   You pee elsewhere
first, then poop in the Loo.   We have a small container of sawdust there to
sprinkle on the poop, which cuts the odor right off.
When it gets fairly full, we take it to a special hole in the woods for
long-term composting.   The urine goes on the garden.

The reason for peeing first is that it's about impossible not to pee when
pooping unless you've just peed.    You can pee in any small container, then
pour the urine into a larger, sealable container to take to the garden
later.    Or you can just swoosh it onto your lawn.

There are just two of us.   If we wait till the Loo is pretty full, tiny
black flies sometimes lay eggs on the inside of the pail and under the seat
and one day you open the lid to find funny little maggots on the seat.   More
likely to happen in summer.   But you will see eggs before maggots, so just
check for them.

Shivani in WI

.