[permaculture] saving the world via google and youtube

paul wheaton paul at richsoil.com
Thu Mar 11 14:10:27 EST 2010

Every few months, I feel it is my duty as a permaculture community
steward to try to wrap my head around the geeky side.

And once again, a thought pops into my head about how all permaculture
stuff could be nudged forward into the vision of the greater internet
community.

I have two more things to offer.  Both of these have to do with an
add-on for your browser.

1)  http://www.alexa.com/toolbar - every site you visit gets a vote
from you to alexa.  And while the final numbers are poor because they
are easily influenced by things like ....  a whole lot of permies
visiting lots of permies sites ...  the numbers are starting to have a
powerful and significant value to search engines and the like.

2) http://www.stumbleupon.com - One of my articles had 700 extra
viewers in one day from these guys.  So yesterday I installed it and
played with it.  I find it really fun.   But!  To business:  this
really popular tool appears to be under-aware of permaculture stuff.
Wouldn't it be great if non-permies became aware of more permie sites?
 Put in the toolbar and give a thumbs up for your favorite
permaculture pages.  Oh, and a tip:  feed in only the very best stuff.

Just some tiny things each person can do to make the world a better place.