[permaculture] Detroit making history again

trevor william johnson john2116 at msu.edu
Tue Mar 9 20:13:21 EST 2010

I agree with everything you said.  And there is a missing in most
(maybe not yours) peoples idea of detroit.  I have lived in a 1st
ring suburb for 16 years and heard stories that tell of 45% of houses
being burnt our unfixable.  That was just a number to me until I
started a job planting gardens for people in need.  the areas they
are talking about repurposing have houses that are so dilapidated
that they cant be fixed.  That statement comes from not only a
economical standpoint but one of safety.   The houses need more than
putty and paint,  They are burnt out, no studs, no wiring, no
pluming...nothing but charcoal and maybe bits and pieces that can be
salvaged with great risk to one self.

I  would akin Detroit to a bad infection in an otherwise functional
body.  Preventative methods are no longer effective.  Conventional
medicine is required given we want the city to be dominated by
regional economies and not regional gangs. The wise use of
petrochemicals and human labor will create the city of our dreams...I
am excited as well.  Powerful grassroots movements are afoot for more
than organic methodologies....permaculture has a strong hold....i am
excited as well and i am a stand that Detroit know a future that
blows the industrial revolution out of the water...makes it a fairy
tale.

As for the cold...hoop house connected to your living quarters will
alleviate the winter blues.

Trevor