[permaculture] BBC NEWS | Health | Kyrgyzstan's quiet health revolution

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 7 23:39:39 EST 2010

BBC NEWS | Health | Kyrgyzstan's quiet health revolution
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7318385.stm

A little offtopic but interesting for the description of their
concerted efforts at radical community building and medical self help by
the community as well as by the individual. The teetotaler watch ladies
committee is a cool idea.

"Nationwide project

And despite confronting such tricky subjects as vodka drinking, the
committees enjoy widespread support in Narin province.

The women clearly enjoy their work and there is no shortage of committee
members, despite the fact that they do not receive any payment.

"I want our village to be healthy, I want our schoolchildren to be
healthy so I don't mind working for free," explains Burul Chomokova,
from Arakul.

"I'm doing it from the bottom of my heart. It's one of our sayings here
in Kyrgyzstan you know: 'health is the first wealth'. "

Such is the success of Narin's village health committees, that the
Kyrgyz government has decided the project should go nationwide.

Hundreds more committees are being set up across the country, so those
Kyrgyz villagers who still enjoy a vodka or two better watch out because
the committee ladies are coming."

How do sugar beets conteract anaemia?