[permaculture] Huh!

Brent McMillan brent at gp.org
Thu Mar 4 16:58:00 EST 2010

On Monday I attended a special presentation entitled, "The Global
Implications of Climate Migration" hosted by the Center for American
Progress in Washington, DC.

Panelists included:
Cynthia Brady (sitting in for Neil Levine, Director, Office of Conflict
Management and Mitigation, USAID),
Susan Martin , Herzberg Professor if International Migration, School of
Foreign Service, Georgetown University
David Waskow , Climate Change Program Director, Oxfam America

They focused on human migration as the result of:
1) Increased drought and desertification
2) Rising Sea Levels
3) Intensification of Natural Disasters
4) (and most problematic) Increased competition for Resources

These forms of migration tend to follow traditional migration routes.
Here migration is seen as a result of failed adaptation.

Typical types of solutions that they discussed included:

Build climate resilience and adaptation strategies in vulnerable communities
Managing risk, promote insurance (and other tools)
Resettling populations when absolutely necessary (Resettlement as a last
recourse)

To get to my point, there was a representative in the audience from the
Embassy of China. To his credit He damn near laughed in their faces when
they talked about selling insurance to the most disadvantaged people on
the planet to mitigate the impact of climate change. As he put it
diplomatically, after struggling to not laugh at loud, "I doubt the
ability of climate insurance to effectively mitigate this. Insurance
companies are after money."

At that moment it sure it home the bankruptcy of capitalism to deal with
this effectively, especially considering that it's western economic
activity that is responsible for climate change in the first place. We
now see the military industrial complex moving to disaster management as
yet another profit center.

(And I not saying that I'm any fan of China, I'm not, but their presence
in Washington DC is definitely increasing. I'm concerned about what kind
of deals were cut behind the scenes on 'our behalf' for China to have
picked up so much of our debt. I have some indication of what that is
and it's not good, but I would like to have more evidence before I put
anything in writing.)

Sincerely:

Brent McMillan, Steward of Woodhaven
Avilla, IN USA