[permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn

Keith D Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 28 17:50:07 EST 2010

I worked with a client in Virginia who wanted to convert a silo to water storage. We accomplished this by anchoring (with tapcon screws) to the inner walls a framework of rebar mesh and chicken wire (or expanded metal lath) and plastering with two coats of fiberglass fiber reinforced mortar (about 1/2 in to 3/4 in thick)...basically a ferrocement tank inside the silo column. Worked great. Adding polymers (or elmers glue) to the cement makes it stronger and more leak-proof. I've found that any places that wick moisture through the walls eventually seal themselves by mineral accretion much in the same way that stalagmites are formed.