[permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds

Keith D Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 14 11:53:55 EST 2010

I would not be concerned about using old cedar in hugelkultur beds. To accelerate breakdown add urine (to feed bacterial decomposers) and sugar (to feed fungal decomposers). Add a bit of limestone if you want a more alkaline pH. If there's still some decent solid wood in any of the rails I'd keep using them for fencing or for heating fuel.