[permaculture] Fw: New Cumberland BC Cumberlander Article: How should the world respond to climate change?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Wed Jan 13 13:46:19 EST 2010

Pieces like this show a fundamental misunderstanding both of what
science is, and of the problems that we encounter when science is used
in the service of public policy. It's very obvious why people who
question anthropogenic climate change run the risk of being labeled as
deniers: There is a huge and well-funded lobby who want to continue
business as usual, and those who are trying to do something about
increased CO2 levels have good reason to fear them. But from what I see,
most people questioning climate change really are in the pockets of
business interests, and the few that are not seem to be grossly
overstating the so-called hysteria and hate-speech they are
encountering. The hysteria that I can see--such as the ridiculous noise
over the "suppressed emails"--is almost exclusively coming from the
"deniers." Did anyone actually read those scientists' emails? I did, and
they are simply the wishes of some scientists that the data could be
impossibly strong, because they knew, and regretted in writing, what hay
the deniers would make of the normal ambiguities that are present in all
research.

Any scientist--and I was one for 20 years--knows that the science in any
subject is never "settled." The deniers, like the creationists and
intelligent design advocates, take advantage of the fact that in
science, there is always a large cloud of data points and many of them
are outliers that, if focused on, can be used to muddy the essential
trend that the data are revealing. They claim the "hockey stick" graph
has been discredited. Not at all; it's just been hammered at by
lobbyists who select outlier data to cast doubt on it. And since
scientists' hypotheses are constantly being modified in the face of more
sophisticated analysis, to a lobbyist, that can be used to suggest
weakness. The parallels between the way evolution and climate change are
being presented are virtually complete. Both are as well "settled" as
science ever is.

The author of that article wrote that we should "investigate all manner
of information source in making up your own mind," and that is nonsense.
Much of what's being written about climate change is garbage. Science is
not a democracy where all ideas deserve equal attention. The press and
the lobbyists make great use of this dissimilarity between science and
politics and say we should have "balance." When the data run 100:1 in
favor of one idea, that 1% does not deserve equal time unless it is
unexplainable under the current paradigm, and climate change outliers
don't meet that criteria.

When there is so much at stake, where science meets policy, it's a shame
that so many with axes to grind take such advantage of most people's
ignorance about how science works.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com