[permaculture] if there were a benefit to deforestation...

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 21:37:00 EST 2010

Lawrence, you are familiar with the terra preta in the Amazon, right?  Have you read Toby's article on indigenous agroforestry:

http://patternliteracy.com/beyondwilderness.html

Really opened my eyes to their genius.

>From the article:
"Even those westerners who recognized the fantastic productivity of these tropical homegardens still had nothing good to say about the underlying rotational pattern that maintained fertility in tropical soils, the much maligned slash-and-burn system. I remember, as a grade-schooler, being taught this concept in words that soured my mouth: Ignorant villagers burn a patch of beautiful tropical forest, plant some annual crops, ruin the soil in just a few years of brutish scratching, and then are forced by their own stupidity to move to another section of virgin rain forest and burn it down in turn. The image combined the worst aspects of nomadic rootlessness, plundering of nature, and subhuman consciousness. Oh, the stupid savages!"

Tripp

-Chinese proverb