[permaculture] shipping container house - insulated, cheap and quick!

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Wed Jan 6 00:52:43 EST 2010

http://canadacollege.net/inside/newsletter/december06.html

Shipping Containers as Homes? Design Students Say Yes

Class project shows Cañada College design
students that shipping containers are livable

Turning used shipping containers into affordable,
eco-friendly housing is the latest trend with
innovative architects and a recent class project
has convinced some Cañada College interior design
students that the used metal boxes can have all
the comforts of home.

Annie Cronin, the green design and sustainable
concepts instructor at the college, challenged
her students this semester to think inside the
box - as in designing a livable space inside a
metal cube. Cronin used shipping containers
because they are routinely going back to Asia
empty out of the Bay Area, they can be purchased
for about $900, and they are strong enough to
resist winds of up to 170 miles per hour.

While the local hipsters might consider living in
a metal box trendy, is it realistic to think a
shipping container can serve as a home?

"If you lose your home in an earthquake, flood,
hurricane or some other natural disaster, you
begin to look at a well-designed shipping
container in a different light," Cronin said.
"That's what I told my students. They need to
take the interior of a shipping container and
make it into a home. They all remembered the
images from Hurricane Katrina and they understand
that living in the Bay Area we are not immune to
natural disasters."

Cronin said her students embraced the project and
provided creative designs ranging from a
solar-powered container home to an entire planned
community that included a garden, kitchen,
laundry room, play area, clinic and support
services.