[permaculture] Bench Marking and Economic Site assessment

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 9 02:24:39 EST 2010

dANIEL hALSEY wrote:
> After reading some of the end game post I though I'd d some insight for the
> perspective of a man that has seen a few recessions from a self employed
> point of view.
<...>
> Here is a better model for us and them. Chickens. Send 20,000 chickens to
> Haiti, They will clean up the mess, need no feed or refrigeration and they
> can be eaten at a moments notice. The Haitians have been doing this for
> centuries. Goats too. A dairy cow here and there. They make more of
> themselves, produce eggs, milk, meat, fertilizer, leather, pillows, etc.
> Haiti does not need another bank or burger king. Give Haiti back the
> agrarian culture it once had and their culture will establish itself once
> again and maybe this time be free of economic burdens we have imposed on
> the.
>
> They do not need concrete buildings, they need gardens, animals and forests
> of food. They need Permaculture.
> Same here.

Hello Dan:

I am surprised at the lack of followups to your thoughtful post.
As I understand it one of the problems they face in Haiti is ethnic
conflict, fueled by outside interests, of course, the removal of
Aristide as activist president being the most notable of late.
By ethnic I mean the longstanding conflicts between the Creoles and the
two distinctly different groups of Blacks (for lack of better
explanation, the ones following the voodoo tradition and those following
black magic who were allied to the Duvalier family).

Something else may be standing in the way of sustainable, permacultural
redevelopment of Haiti is this (thanks to Keith Johnson for posting this
to Facebook):

The Fateful Geological Prize Called Haiti
by F. William Engdahl
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=17287
President becomes UN Special Envoy to earthquake-stricken Haiti.

"A born-again neo-conservative US business wheeler-dealer preacher
claims Haitians are condemned for making a literal ‘pact with the Devil.’

Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, Bolivian, French and Swiss rescue organizations
accuse the US military of refusing landing rights to planes bearing
necessary medicines and urgently needed potable water to the millions of
Haitians stricken, injured and homeless.

Behind the smoke, rubble and unending drama of human tragedy in the
hapless Caribbean country, a drama is in full play for control of what
geophysicists believe may be one of the world’s richest zones for
hydrocarbons-oil and gas outside the Middle East, possibly orders of
magnitude greater than that of nearby Venezuela."

<>
What do you make of this? and especially this:
"Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, Bolivian, French and Swiss rescue organizations
accuse the US military of refusing landing rights to planes bearing
necessary medicines and urgently needed potable water to the millions of
Haitians stricken, injured and homeless."
Put this in the context of recent events in Honduras where _their_
democratically elected president was deposed because he sought to really
do something for his people including extracting fair revenue from the
parasite chiquita banana who promptly called the goon squad and had him
removed. Recently there have also been journalist assassinations in
Honduras, just as in Russia with those exposing the atrocities committed
by that country on the Chechnians.
LL