[permaculture] Cabbage vs. Lettuce

Andrew French alienbuddha at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 11:10:10 EST 2010

Ones that I have experience with here in the Midwest;

Allium Family:
garlic (scapes)
chives
early bulb

Asparagus
Basswood leaves (delicious in salads)
Beets
Burdock (it's in sushi so you know it's good)

Cabbage Family:
mustard greens
brussels sprouts
rutabagas (mashed with butter, yum)
turnips
cabbage
collards
kale (my favorite overall cold hardy crop)
kohlrabi

Carrots
Chard
Dandelion
Jerusalem artichoke (can harvest up to frost, overwinter, and continue to
harvest at spring thaw)
Lambsquarters (so good, try slicing up young plants stem and all and
sauteing)
Leeks
Nettles (our favorite super delicious spring tonic! great in omelettes)
Parsley
Parsnip
Peas (harvest shoots for spring excitement)
Radish

Salad Greens:
arugula
chicory
sorrel
spinach
mache
purslane

Also consider sprouting beans and grains for some green goodness in these
cold winter months, as well as starting microgreens under a grow light in a
couple months. For microgreens I have a heating pad under the flat of seeds
as well to warm up the soil.

I feel like I'm forgetting some good plants.

Andrew French
LTD Farm