[permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] water catchments

loren luyendyk loren at sborganics.com
Thu Dec 16 17:44:22 EST 2010

Most pond liners are made from polyethylene, which is pretty inert in the realm of plastics- no BPA.  Bentonite is also great, though both have their embodied energy.

Another method is to use pigs.  Once you dig out your pond, put the pigs in, spreading their feed up the walls that have been moistened.  They will root out the feed mashing the mud.  Pigs supposedly have an enzyme in their saliva that makes clay coagulate.  Joel Salatin calls it the "squealer sealer".

Whatever you do, dig your catchment deep and try to shade it, as evaporation is a concern.  Look into Keyline design for ideas of how to harvest rainwater from runoff.  A good book is "Water for Every Farm" by P.A. Yeomans.

Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org