[permaculture] What is a commons? And how do we regulate it?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 15 18:42:02 EST 2010

On 12/15/2010 5:09 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:

> I sent a suggestion for rules a while back which included warnings
> before being permanently removed, which I believe you said you liked
> Lawrence.  Based on common moderator rules, it seemed fair to me,
> because it allows a person to change their behavior if they are
> inadvertently doing something to violate the rules. I don't recall
> exactly but I believe the rules for expulsion (after warning) were
> limited to personal attacks on other members, and spamming? Cory
>> I hope my two cents is helpful. I would like to see a sensibly
>> moderated commons.

As usual, Cory, your comments are exceptional in appropriateness,
creative and perceptive and caring.

In just a few words, my response is:

I am interested in promoting and engaging in a "sensibly moderated
commons" here in this list. We have actually been doing this informally
for years and it has worked.

It is the rare conflagration that demands immediate action to keep
discussion on track and useful. Only a few people engage in, i.e. start,
this kind of list disruption which necessitates immediate damage
control, user moderation or expulsion. The past major occurrences were
useless and extreme, often the result of venting frustrations over
failure to dominate the forum with an agenda, usually non-permaculture.
There would have been no point deferring to a group moderation process;
no purpose would have been served dragging it out and eroding list
content with such out of focus distractions.