[permaculture] 12 Simple Things You Can Start Doing Right Now To Prepare For The Coming Financial Apocalypse

Kelly Simmons kelly at bouldersustainability.org
Tue Dec 14 23:55:40 EST 2010

I just read a book of interest to permaculturists entitled A Paradise
Built in Hell by Rebecca Solnit, which I highly recommend.  In it, she
thoroughly debunks the myth of looters and rampagers running wild
during disasters (of which an apocalypse surely qualifies).  In
actuality during and after disasters the vast majority of ordinary
people pull together and help each other out.  A robust and connected
community arises out of nowhere.  According to her book this has been
documented over and over again by "disaster sociologists" studying the
behavior of citizens in disasters all over the world, including the
economic collapse in Argentina.

What is far more dangerous, according to Solnit, are the mythological
beliefs in looters and rampagers held by the elite.  She terms it
"elite panic".  In cases of elite panic, which are legion in
disasters, law abiding citizens are frequently shot for no reason,
because the elite, and their minions the police and the military,
believe that citizens will loot and rampage and must be stopped at all
costs.  Katrina is the most recent and glaring example of elite panic
coupled with racism, wherein national guardsmen and private security
forces were sent in to New Orleans to "quell looting and rampaging"
where none existed, while citizens were dying on rooftops and highway
overpasses waiting to be rescued, or just given some water.  These
forces passed by the stranded with guns pointed at them in their
fruitless searches for the rampaging black men supposedly killing and
looting.

Solnit documents case after case of ordinary citizens working together
without authority structures during disasters to help each other,
rescue each other, and care for each other, as well as elites
panicking and ordinary citizens getting shot or harmed.

It's actually quite a positive portrayal of human nature in general.

Quite an interesting read and highly recommended.

Kelly