[permaculture] [SANET-MG] S.510 Food Safety Bill Update

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 6 15:45:57 EST 2010

On 12/6/2010 2:53 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> S.510 Food Safety Bill Update
>
> There appears to be a lot of misinformation, lack of information and
> outright lobbyist propaganda floating around the Web about S.510, so
> I decided to call Senator Kay Hagan's office here in NC to ask about
> automatic exemptions or otherwise for small farmers contained in the
> Hagan-Tester amendment in S.510, the future of their version of the food
> safety bill and possibilities for a new and different one proposed in
> the next session of Congress. The secretary referred me to her office in
> Washington for answers. Here's the contact information in case anyone is
> interested. I will post what I find out when I am able to reach them
> (line is busy now):
>
> Regarding content and status of S.510 with amendments:
>
> U.S. Senator Kay Hagan
> Washington, DC office
> 202 224 6342
> Legislative Correspondent
> Jason Lindsay or Stephen Lassiter
>
> There is also the House version of the food safety bill which some say
> is better for small farmers but which may be overridden by the Senate
> version which, itself, may be defeated due to a procedural irregularity.

I just talked with Stephen in Sen. Hagan's office. He and Jason, in the
office's agriculture group, are directly involved with S.510. In just a
few words:

Small farm exemptions outlined in the Tester-Hagan Amendment to S.510
will be automatic, at least they are expected to be depending on
negotiations needed in the House regarding the tax rider procedural
hiccup, moving it to the Senate for approval and finally, to President
Barack Obama's desk for his signature and becoming law.

Anyone wanting to know more about progress of this bill should call
Stephen or Jason next Monday for an update. Phone: 202 224 6342.