[permaculture] Major Victory for family farmers, sustainable agriculture: Food Safety Bill Passes with Family Farm Protections

Killian O'Brien admin at pri-de.org
Fri Dec 3 19:43:17 EST 2010

""In order to qualify for exemption, he points out that small producers must file three years of detailed financial records, detailed hazard analysis plans, and detailed proof of compliance with local, county and state laws. Then, the Secretary of Health and Human Services must approve each exemption.

...How many "food producers" who donate food to the homeless, or who supply homemade products at bake sales, county fairs, church bazaars, and community picnics are going to bother with such hyper-regulation?"

Yes, the exemption must be automatic, without conditions, with revocation requiring evidence and a hearing to determine wrong-doing. It must include the opportunity to correct inadvertent problems. Big Ag has been responsible for every major food illness outbreak I am aware of (If anyone knows of any coming from small farms, and especially very small farms, please let me know.), so they need to have an excuse for there not to be an alternative market that is healthier both in terms of energy consumption, pollution and food quality.

That is, they know they cannot compete, so are eliminating the competition via this bill.

Cheers,

Killian O'Brien
PRI-De
admin at pri-de.org