[permaculture] (fwd) Request for info/data on CSA benefits

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 28 00:39:59 EDT 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Request for info/data on CSA benefits
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:18:10 -0700
From: james mercer <jamescmercer at YAHOO.COM>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi folks,

Doing some research on the benefits a community can expect from a CSA.
Making proposal to municipality for lease of open space land for this
purpose.
What I'd like to include is information on the benefits to the community
that such an enterprise can be expected to generate. Beyond the obvious
fresh organic food .
Basically I need points to demonstrate the desirablilty of allowing such
an endeavor to the politicians, as well as voters who do not plan to
subscribe to the food-share aspect of the CSA. (ie info to convince
the 'why should we/what's in it for us' crowd).
We will have the obvious points of fresh food, produced locally and
sustainably, reduced chemical/energy footprint, educational and
recreational opportunities for school district children, seniors and
special need citizens.
Appreciate any other suggestions.

Also, particularly interested in any info on any studies they have seen
regarding the not so obvious benefits to the entire community-
additional economic and community growth potential, ancillary
beneficiaries, etc etc. that the association can hope to provide for the
community at large. Data, studies, additional web references, anecdotal
field reports or references for contact for further research all
appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any input!
jamescmercer at yahoo.com