[permaculture] Tanning Workshop - Central Texas

Marjory forestgarden at gvtc.com
Wed Apr 21 15:59:01 EDT 2010

Quit buying clothes and shoes from China!*/

Tanning Deer Skins Naturally/**/ --/**/ 9 am/**/ --/**/ 5/**/ pm,/**/
Friday,/**/ April 30/**/ to Sunday,/**/ May 2/**/ --/**/ Southeast of
Austin -/* During this 3-day intensive you will use traditional
home-spun tanning techniques to take a deer hide from the raw state to a
finished, luxurious, soft, strong  buckskin. Did you know you can wash
buckskin in the machine just like other clothes?   Each participant will
be given their own deer skin to work and take home upon completion.  We
will provide all the necessary tools, materials, and guidance.  Each day
we will start at 9 am and go until you are complete for that day, ending
typically around 5 pm.  We will have on-site, primitive camping with
evening activities for Friday and Saturday nights.  Our primary
instructor is Red Louvish.  Red is a professional brain tanner living in
the Austin, TX area.  Red has been a featured teacher at Rabbitstick and
Wintercount primitive skills gatherings.  One feel of a skin that Red
has tanned will convince you of his qualifications.  Supple, light, and
strong.  Red's works are for sale locally at the Bastrop Producers
Market on Hwy 71 East of Austin. The cost of the workshop is only $325.
Learn a skill that will last a lifetime.  Class size will be limited so
we can have a high student to instructor ratio.   Register at
_www.backyardfoodproduction.com_ <http://www.backyardfoodproduction.com>.
Alternate rain dates are May 22-24, 2010.