[permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: autumn Seedballs?

Thomas Jahn tpj at life.ku.dk
Tue Sep 22 05:19:12 EDT 2009

> Basically, what is missing is a holistic view of things that will
> put the fragmented findings of analytical science in relation with
> the whole.  For example, when science can do genetic engineering,
> society ought to be able to decide if we really want to go down that
> road based on moral, social and political considerations instead of
> being forced into it by particular economic interests with their
> paid scientists and political lobbying.
>
> Dieter

I have often been listening to non-scientists about their attitude
towards genetic engineering - without interrupting them or even
introducing myself as an expert. It has been very interesting. And I
see that there is a broad scepticism among the man on the street
towards the way science is leading the development. Like a basic
instinct that warns them from following this road.

The shocking thing is that scientist who really ought to know better
have placed themselves in a position, where they cannot be critical
any more. They have lost the foundation where they potentially could
find solutions. What is left is exactly as you say: "economic
interests with their paid scientists and political lobbying".

I love science. But I had to realize that there are already plenty of
people doing that type of thing, I have been doing.

I have decided to stay in science and to work at the Academy with the
aim to re-create awareness. It's going to be a tuff way. But I know
what to do. And finally I can use my competence as a molecular
biologist, something that was not helpful in the discussion with the
man on the street.

I will take the chance at this point to post the link to a movie that
I strongly recomment to everybody here. It's split in 13 parts. To see
all the movie takes 2 hours. So take your time. For Michael Moore it
took 4 hours, as he watched it two times in a row.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1v3xPYnqo&feature=player_embedded

Maybe it has been seen here before as it is from 2007. But I just
follow the mailinglist since a couple of weeks.

cheers
Thomas