[permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems]

Kevin Topek ktopek at att.net
Wed Sep 16 21:06:18 EDT 2009

Speaking for Houston, Texas, there is a lot of local urban vegetable
production. A bit farther out from town there is a lot of animal
husbandry and commercial amounts of vegetable production on small
scales. We used to grow more rice by volume than anywhere in the
world, but development has taken many of the local rice fields. I am
seeing interest in developing growing systems for tall buildings, both
on floor levels and also walls. I'm gonna take a stab at designing
something for the wall concept later this year. In my opinion this
shift has already begun and will get better with time.

Kevin Topek
www.permaculturedesign.net