[permaculture] Harold Waldock comments on land

Lisa Rollens rollens at fidnet.com
Fri Sep 11 22:29:44 EDT 2009

Hi,

This has been a very interesting conversation about acquiring land.  I, too,
basically thought PC was about taking poor land and making something
productive out of it.  But I can see your point about working yourselves to
death and making progress achingly slowly.

For Justin, who started this thread....you apparently have not been in
southern MO, because I have land in this Midwest state that is so steep one
cannot climb on two feet.  Hands needed!  I have bluffs here where I expect
to see a mountain lion any day.  Also,  we have springs and spring fed cold
rivers and creeks, and caves.   I also have bottom land and upland. It's
actually quite beautiful  in the Ozark Mountains.

The prices, relatively speaking, are good, too.  I moved here from Ohio
where I had several inches of water on my garden spot virtually all winter.
Land there cost $30,000 an acre if it was to be developed.  Down here, the
land was around $2000 an acre 6 years ago, and this land produced more in my
first garden than I grew the 7 years I was in Ohio combined.

It does get fairly hot in the summers, but the winters are not as cold as
Ohio and further north.  Basically, we can work outside on something for
most of the winter.  Winters don't last so long either.  By April 1 it can
be quite warm altho there will still be frosts.  All my animals graze all
winter.  I keep hay only for ice and sleet events.  Oh, and we have minimal
government interference.  This particular county has NO building codes!
Taxes are very low also.  It's even legal to sell raw milk from the farm.

There are challenges, of course.  The land is rocky and a lot of the topsoil
has washed off.  But, we can make soil, and do.  Or, one can buy a farm with
bottomland.  Another challenge is frequent droughts, but there again, we
know how to save as much water as possible and plan for droughts.

Have I interested anyone??  It would be wonderful to have a few more
permaculturists around the area.  There is even room on my farm, as I wrote,
looking for a farm partner, a couple years ago.  No takers yet.  Actually,
this area needs permaculturists. The land has a history of abuse that is
still continuing.  It's mostly overgrazing and other cattle related
problems.

If anyone wants more info I will be glad to provide it or find it.

Lisa, in the Ozarks of MO