[permaculture] Eucalyptus

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 10:38:48 EDT 2009

A neighbor used Eucalyptus (probably globulus) for poles and beams in a largish rammed earth construction.  He took off the bark and let it dry for one summer (probably not enough).  The poles are between 4 to 5 meters tall and the beams are about 3 to 4 meters.  Especially the large poles did split a good deal, which didn't seem to impede strength though.  Anyway, he put some ion rings around some of the poles just to be on the save side..  I think you have to take the bark off if you intend the structure to last for a long time.

Dieter Brand
Portugal