[permaculture] Re, swales

sals3 sals3 at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 12:39:13 EDT 2009

I live in santa barbara Ca. 7074 Casitas Pass Rd, Carpinteria, Santa
Barbara, California 93013
. my problem is I planted my trees over 25 years ago and now I find that
water in my biggest cost. I was wondering if i can put in swales after the
trees have been planted.  It would be a dream if I can cut down on elec. for
the well.  my guess would be in the winter when the ground is soft from rain
I could hand dig swales uphill from a group of trees.  I guess i don't
understand swales that well but can u do a few trees at a time or even one
tree at a time or a small line of trees.you think if the trees have been
there 20 years or so on drip that  roots will be deep enough to suck up
water from a swales in Santa Barbara.   Do we get enough rain?