[permaculture] Comments on patterning in Permaculture

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 25 20:28:36 EDT 2009

 From the archives:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/comments-on-patterning

<>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:49:25 EST
From: Milogic
To: permaculture at listserv.oit.unc.edu
Cc: bd-l at biodynamics.com
Subject: Pattern and difference

To echo Scott  on the permaculture list and Bea on the biodynamics list
(to a
degree): core elements, for me, within the permaculture vision and
Mollison's crazy
wisdom* are what Bateson called 'the patterns which connect" and
differences that
make a difference. (*substitute Steiner and Biodynamics freely)

Polyculturing is patterning in ways that create differences which make
differences--and doing so within manageable microcosms.

Permaculture is dynamics in systems. People outside permaculture like
Theodor
Schwenk and Hans Jenny or Ralph Abraham are working within patterning
ideas and
finding pragmatic links between cosmos and soil particles.

Some of the precursors in people like Rudolph Steiner, Edmund Bordeaux
Szekeley, Wilhelm Reich et al, worked earlier in time and under
conditions no longer
available. In a remarkable way, in terms of human experience on this
planet, we are
totally connected and totally alone together.

New ways of linking, such as this, may be creating the webs of relationship,
community, through which we can abandon reason as we have been taught
and find
actualities in tune with now. I suspect permaculture is one of those
linking ways.

As we try to cope with conditions presenting themselves from soil
imbalances in my
back yard to firestorms in South East Asia, we are dealing with dynamic
systems
overburdened with positive feedback, thereby increasing entropic
tendencies at
exponential rates. Reason, as we have been given to understand it, is
proving
irrational and failing us.

Permaculture offers pattterns, which if explored with open mind, may
allow us to
grok differences needed which, in place, will make key differences in
species
survival for humankind. Permaculture, by encouraging people to take
action in place,
with awareness of universal sentience, provides essential anchors for
turbulent
times.

Crazy wisdom is in short supply. Treasure every bit that falls upon you.

For those inclined to Eastern spiritual practices and thought,
permaculture may be
understood as a grounding of bliss to find grace, one way of ending
suffering
through finding out who we are. For those who follow such paths, it is
clear, at
least to me, that east and west are converging into sets of
understandings more like
parallel and converging paths.

The works which flowed through a Western mind who integrated Eastern
patterns, Lama
Anagarika Govinda, are particularly cogent in adapting and adopting
these sets. And
also, an Eastern Mind who groks Western mind, Tarthang Tulku, continues
to expand
his Time, Space and Knowledge series. A Western scientist who groks well
is Ralph
Abraham (see his Chaos, Gaia, Eros).

Perhaps the better path is simply to meld your being with the soil on
which you walk
(if any is available to you).

Milo Clark
Berkeley CA USA