[permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: Re: David Blume and "Alcohol Can Be A Gas"

Thomas Paul Jahn tpj at life.ku.dk
Wed Oct 21 16:38:26 EDT 2009

It's true. I didn't read the book and should probably do so before I judge. Though I think it is remarkable that he - in his video just as on the frontpage of his book - tries to please us regarding our biggest concern: the car.
The more rational approach towards a sustainable transport system in my eyes would be first to shave off 98% of the weight of our cars. Why would we carry tons of steel and a sofa around every morning when going to work, ... or to the fitness centre.
But enough of that, Dave may be a real expert in alcohol production. Fair enough.

Thomas Paul Jahn wrote:
> Sorry, but in my eyes this is not permaculture at all. As long as he
> wants us make believe that we will be driving our cars and lorries on
> alcohol in substitution for oil this is insane.
It doesn't sound like you've read the book, as he is generally not
advocating large scale use, and suggests that we won't continue to drive
cars en masse much longer. The book is primarily about on-farm and
small-scale ethanol production for very specific uses.

Dave sometimes overstates his case and uses more best-case numbers than
I like, but he definitely knows his stuff when it comes to ethanol. I
don't think he sees it as "the" solution, just part of a multi-fold set
of solutions. He grasps permaculture pretty well.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Subscribe or unsubscribe here: