[permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Sea level rise]

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 26 00:30:23 EST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Sea level rise
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:13:19 +1100
From: Don Miller <donmillernz at GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

I now live on a Pacific island, and every morning I look out of my bedroom
window onto a massive new oil tank being built to cope with the increased
demand for liquid fossil fuel here.  The people could use bicycles, but they
prefer to use motor vehicles.  They could use sails on their boats, but they
prefer to use outboard motors.  Many expatriates drive Hummers as they are
cheap to bring in second hand from the US.

Tectonic movement may keep this particular island above the sea level but
their lack of concern for their neighbours is apparent.

Before last year I worked in Vietnam.  Vietnam is at great risk of losing a
high proportion of its highly productive delta rice land to sea level rise,
but when I was there they were boasting of the many new coal fired power
stations they were building.  My thoughts on sea level rise were not
appreciated at all by the authorities.  Electricity was more important than
global warming.  Development was all that mattered.

It will not work out.  The ability for man to be honest with himself/herself
is simply not there.  It is beyond the evolutionary imperatives that formed
our instincts and allowed us to reach this stage.  Those instincts are going
to drive us relentlessly and rapidly to destruction as they are no longer
appropriate for our survival.

As Don McLean so aptly phrased it:

"...They would not listen, they're not listening still.

Perhaps they never will..."

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Greg at Licking Creek <lickingcreek at igc.org