[permaculture] Peak Ownership (was Intellectual Property)

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 14:42:50 EST 2009

I might also toss in the idea that the "more mature" folks in favor of doggedly protecting intellectual property, may have books of their own on their minds (or in the works).  And I'll continue to buy, read and loan every one that I can, as long as I can.  They are more likely landowners as well - potentially the next great wave of discussion for industrial culture.

But to add to Leo's argument, we might also consider the radical reduction in economic scale that is underway.  I wonder just how much longer one will be able to shop for permaculture books at Amazon, or have something rare shipped from Powell's.  The idea of making any appreciable money in a village, or even watershed, economy by selling a book, no matter how paradigm-bending, is itself up for debate.  I already lament all the brilliant books I won't be able to acquire a decade from now.

I understand Paul and Kathleen's POV, and I understand Evan's too.  I think Leo's take on the situation is quite astute.  There must be something more to this.

Would David Holmgren weigh in on the matter?

Respectfully,
Tripp

-Chinese proverb