[permaculture] Information monopoly

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Nov 16 05:13:11 EST 2009

just got back from the IPC9 in Malawi, high speed internet does not
exist, the internet goes off and on any given day, electric power
too,  the big need for many organizations that are working with
farmers and schools is to have a laptop to do reports and
communications. A group of us brought 3 laptops, one went to
Zimbabwe, one to Liberia and one to South Africa. This was in
response to the Africans request  IPC8 in Brasil in 2007;

as far as pc books, the school  teachers who where at the IPC9 had
their way paid to the Conference by the Malawi government. and once
they knew we have brought some pc books everyone asked us for copies
for their schools. so there is a great need for PC books, we have
seen partial photo copied copies of Brad Lancaster books on water
harvesting. there is a big need.

Most of the books we brought went to the MOOF permaculture center in
Kenya , we promised them a year ago, they have no PC books and are a
training center for farmers

there is a story of a friend travelling in a desert in Mexico, who
came across a property that was a lush food forest, he stopped by and
asked about , the owner pulled out a partial photo  copy of the
Designer manual that was worn with use, she said a friend in the US
sent this copy years ago and she asked if when he came by could he
bring her the pages that where missing, next time by he brought her a
copy of the Manual.

For my part i like to support the authors of PC books, they are so
generous sharing copies of their books, we have organized book tours
for them for 9 years in California, to make sure their books get out
there to a wider audience. Rosemary Morrow buys her book at wholesale
cost from her publisher, and will be sending over to africa, so
groups can get the book out at a lower cost. many solutions.

I will buy books over this next year and send them to the teachers i
met in Malawi, one by one. this way copies of the book will slowly be
shared out to so many

many folks will figure out ways to share these books , the need is so
great and the hunger for knowledge is so great.

I talk to the School  Teachers at the IPC9, they told me that they
are paid poverty wages, and that as a teacher they will be in poverty
the rest of their life being teachers. yet they have put together PC
gardens at their schools , because hungry minds cannot learn. and
they do not have extra money to by PC books. Sharing is such a
powerful way humans connect and those that have so little share so
much for a better future

let's creatively figure out to look after all the needs in PC

my thoughts stepping back from the 2/3 world to the 1/3 world, it is
such a hard adjustment

wes
ps the IPC9 was totally financed by fees there where few donations
and no grants , it was an amazing volunteer organized event,
blessings to the Africans that put this together, 160,people from 50
countries. mostly from Africa www.ipc9.org