[permaculture] Intellectual property

Juergen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Sun Nov 15 16:14:08 EST 2009

On 11/15/2009 04:33 PM, Steve Read wrote:
> I own a copy of the Designers Manual and I also downloaded the Pirate copy as its easier to carry around to courses with me on my little computer. I hope that isn't wrong of me?

It isn't wrong of you.  Neither morally nor legally, although the
corporations would like to change the law so as to make it
illegal.  They have had some success with this... if the electronic
copy was protected by some kind of anti-copying mechanism
and you had bypassed ("cracked") that mechanism in order to
have a copy on your computer, then you would have been in
violation of the DMCA (digital millenium copyright act) which
has some pretty severe potential penalties.

:j