[permaculture] Permaculture, Credibility, Relevance: Lessons from Agroecology

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 07:44:36 EDT 2009

Steve,

I holistically agree with most of what you said.  Considering the way human society has developed over the last few centuries, there is very little chance that we can manage without science and technology as we know them today; yet, at the same time, it becomes ever more apparent that technological solutions will run this planet into the ground.  Still, any effort at reconciling analytical science with a holistic view of live seems ever more like the squaring of the circle.  I’m none to keen on permaculture as an “ideology”, nor on any other ideology for that matter.

I think it could help if we could learn to take scientists and their analytical findings with a grain of salt instead of treating science like a modern day religion.  I recently got involved in some rather unfortunate discussions about the necessity of soil tests.  In essence, I was told that it didn’t matter how much I improved my soil by natural means or how well my plants grew, as long as I didn’t get my soil analyzed and then added whatever soil amendment was judged necessary by the agrochemists, all I did was worthless.

What we need is a framework of reference that will allow farmers (and gardeners) to grow by organic or natural means without being intimidated by industry with its paid scientists.

Dieter Brand
Portugal