[permaculture] Moldy Compost

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Thu Jul 9 22:55:52 EDT 2009

It's kind of hard to diagnose compost issues from
"afar".  Also, I have zero experience composting
in a container.  Without being able to see, feel,
or smell your composting process. . . I'll say
that in my piles and sheet composting, I try to
maintain an equal ratio of "brown and dry" to "wet
and green", the latter could also include "moldy".
The moldy food will make fine soil, but it needs
some other stuff like shredded dried leaves,
shredded paper, cardboard, etc.  I generally feel
that the more diverse the stuff going into the
pile, the better the end result compost.

Robert Waldrop, Okc
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org