[permaculture] Moldy Compost

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Thu Jul 9 21:02:29 EDT 2009

I read a lot of warnings about letting critters
get into your compost, but my experience is that
critters are beneficial.  I compost in piles and
sheets, rather than enclosed composters, so maybe
this is an issue with enclosed situations.

In my situation, I figure that sharing the surplus
includes not getting worried about critters in my
compost.  I nearly always run into some voles when
I am moving my compost.  And the other morning I
was up a bit early and headed out the back door
and surprised a mother possum and three of her
children rustling around in the compost.  They
made a bee-line for their hideout while I held
onto the dog who wanted to play.  On balance,
critters stir things up a bit, leave behind their
own body wastes, so i figure there's enough for
everybody.

Robert Waldrop, OKC
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org