[permaculture] Suggestions for Achira Recipes?

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 14:04:12 EST 2009

In my climate (California) at least, it seems that only the new corms are worth eating, and only at certain times of the year.  I haven't fully explored this, but I have definitely had mixed results with trying to cook Canna.  Often it seems it is impossible to get the plant to soften up.  It stays crunchy and fibrous.  I think high temperatures help.  I recently tried sauteing the corms, sections of shoot, and leaves, cut into small pieces, and was able to get the corms to soften up with a lot of heat, with the rest becoming tender enough to include in a stir-fry or something.

I'd like to know how people make noodles out of Canna.

Rain