[permaculture] Make it so.....

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 4 20:55:49 EST 2009

A Resolution to Establish Our City as a TRANSITION TOWN

WHEREAS, the people of our city recognize the importance of the move
towards more localized energy-efficient and productive living
arrangements; and

WHEREAS, we desire to build upon our heritage and make our city and
county a place where our economy is locally sustained, business is
productive, education is effective, our natural resources are protected
and used wisely; and

WHEREAS, we recognize that individuals are responsible for their actions
and that collectively we can set common goals that secure the
localization of food production, energy, goods and services production
and proper waste management; and

WHEREAS, a lack of commitment and irresponsibility have resulted in an
increasing number of social, financial and economic consequences to
individual family members and to this city and county as a whole; and

WHEREAS, there is a need for more positive initiatives among our young
people for their future prosperity and welfare; and

WHEREAS, if a people fail to build positive proactive possibilities and
only concentrate on wrong reactive choices, the health, safety, and
welfare of the citizens are endangered, resulting in a financial burden
upon the taxpayers; and

WHEREAS, many current societal problems will be alleviated when the
citizens of the city and county can live by a sense of anticipation
because of identified and supported practical long term solutions; and

WHEREAS, teaching Permaculture and Transition skills to a population has
been known to produce a change in behavior and their posterity; and

WHEREAS, encouraging citizens by recognizing the potential to rebuild
local agriculture and food production, localizing energy production,
rethinking preventative health care, rediscovering local building
materials and rethinking how we manage waste can result in an increase
in local morale, local sustainability and local profits; and

WHEREAS, the emphasis of local sustainability in every sector of society
can only occur as individuals commit themselves to exemplifying those
practices in their personal lives and inspiring others to do the same;

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the people of this city pledge our
commitment to responsible transition to local sustainability, and doing
all in our power to become known as a TRANSITION TOWN by promoting
sincere efforts to local food, energy, goods and services production and
responsible waste management in our schools, businesses, homes, local
government, media, and community groups, and we urge the leaders of each
of these jurisdictions to do likewise.

Adopted by the City Council this ______Day of ____________ 2______

Signed ________________________

        Mayor

Signed ________________________

        City Council Chairman

Signed ________________________

        City Clerk

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog
<http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- Association for Regenerative Culture <http://www.arculture.org/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog
<http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar
<http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>