[permaculture] vertical foods op-ed

Thomas Jahn tpj at life.ku.dk
Wed Aug 26 07:18:41 EDT 2009

to cite Sepp Holzer:

We come into the world, usually in a sterile hospital where
immediately, our natural roots are cut. We are then inoculated and
nursed with a chemical cocktail and begin our journey into and through
an unnatural world, increasingly severed from Nature and from natural
processes. Instead, would not a natural birth in the circle of one's
family and a natural childhood be the correct start for the future
life of a young person? And should not every planetary citizen have
the birthright to their own piece of earth upon which they could
develop and maintain their essential need to be nurtured and sustained
by their natural environment? I maintain that a land reform which
confirms these realities is long overdue. By growing up in insulation
and isolation from Nature and our Mitlebewesen, the creatures co-
existing with us, we lose the natural relationship to our environment.
Growing up in symbiosis with plants, animals and humans, however,
enables an experience of meaningful belonging and sharpens the task
and ability to act as a thoughtful individual, the task of mastering
the challenge of Directing rather than Fighting. By observing the life
all around us, our Mitlebewesen, do we discover that Nature is perfect
already and that Creation has considered everyone; that everything is
in relationship one with the other and that there is nothing to improve.

Thomas Paul Jahn, PhD
Associate Professor
Molecular Plant Nutrition
Plant and Soil Science Laboratory