[permaculture] pumping water

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 18:00:18 EDT 2009

Suraj, are you saying that pumping water directly with wind is unsustainable?  This is a pretty simple technology used by farmers and ranchers for a long time all across the United States, as well as other countries.  Supposedly, it is now more expensive than just using wind or water power to produce electricity which powers a pump, but I'd bet it would be cheaper in India.  Once you learn how the pump works, you could probably repair it yourself.  You might be able to find someone locally to build a wind-powered pump.  Cattle would definitely have a larger ecological footprint.  I would argue that there is not enough land on the planet for everyone to have a cow (though I know it is a lot easier in humid climates).

Rain